The solemn nine-foot tall soldier, standing on guard, faces north. Under his feet is a smooth faced granite plinth. In relief on the plinth’s north face is a furled flag and a pair of crossed swords. The east face features a pair of crossed cannons and the west face a pair of crossed muskets. The plinth gives way to a massive triple base of granite with smooth tops and roughhewn edges. The monument stands on a small earthen mound. Placed at a slant around the mounds sides are four engraved marble slabs containing the names of the soldiers from Burke County who died in the Civil War. Each slab contains six columns of names. A black wrought iron fence surrounds the monument.
The monuments original finial from 1911 was replaced by the statue in 1918. This finial was preserved and rests several yards to the southwest of the monument with a bronze plaque attached.
The base for the statue to Burke County’s Confederate Army troops was erected on the northwest corner of the Square in late 1911. Plans called for the monument to be paid for by public subscription, but construction was started prior to the funds being raised. Fundraising efforts fell short, leaving Burke County government to settle the debt over a number of years. The planned statue was not funded until 1918. It was a gift from Captain William Joseph Kincaid, a Burke County Confederate soldier, who settled in Griffin, Georgia after the war and wanted to see the memorial completed.